Wednesday 11 June 2014

How to Shop....

I started the day. as most of my days do, here




on Hampstead Heath, with the best brown dog and view to kill for.  

The tiled bit in the foreground, looking a bit like the floor of an unearthed mansion, is unofficially 'the Place Formerly Known as The Pagoda'.  For reasons only known to the good rulers of the City of London (who maintain the Heath), the little Pagoda that reigned over this hill was taken away, never to be seen again.  All that is left are the tiles, and a pre/post split of what used to be and what is (or is not) now.  

Which made me ponder the sudden advent of seamless, super-fast deliveries that can be had online. and the equally speedy demise of what used to be known a 'Shopping'. 

After all, these days it can sometimes feel like it is online or nothing. Amazon one-click, Mr. Porter same-day and all the rest have a lot to answer for.  But it is true that sometimes I relish the prehistoric feeling of actually seeing  my purchases in their original habitat.  Finding the perfect...something...on its home ground.  Sometimes, seeing a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional screen does not always feel quite complete,  no matter how convenient it may be.  

With this in mind,  I went along to the opening night of the Cockpit Arts Open Studio to shop the old-fashioned way.



And found...




Mary Kilvert's ultra-appealing dachshund cushions, and her ultra-sweet sheep






which really, you would want to have just because.



And Laura Gravestock's name rings, necklaces and bracelets...




and my lovely friend, Aline Johnson's almost edible glassware...




I ended up here, eyeing the prettiest map of London I have seen from Josie Shenoy



I liked all her detailed work that had curiously attractive modern/medieval feel.

A few carrier bags later, I tottered home on my platforms (bought online), with my Georgina Scott earrings (bought in the ancient ways,  in a shop) glinting in a very late afternoon  sun. (Photo below, courtesy of GS's website.)




I realise, having been swept away by the tides of online shopping, I had been missing the sheer luxury of actually seeing things up close, in person, and not once removed.  Pre/post...the art formerly known as shopping has moved on, but there is still room for both.  (Though I am waiting to see what the Amazon drones will be like....)























No comments:

Post a Comment